sprite style

View previous topic View next topic Go down

sprite style

Post by JohnDaWizard on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:44 am

I know crowns are going to be in the game, but i was wondering if i had gotten even close to replicating the style in this sprite.

I cant make it any bigger for some reason

Sword ( i dont know how to animate)
JohnDaWizard

Back to top Go down

Re: sprite style

Post by Mr Retardo on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:52 am

Hey John! I'll let you know how I make the sprites, so that it's easier to replicate the style.

I start off with the line work, I spend a lot of time on this because the shape of the object is important because that's what people will see.

Next I fill in the sprite with the 2nd brightest colour. The shading is done in a single colour which is slightly darker and more blue than the original colour. For blue objects this becomes purple.

I then highlight parts in the brightest colour, which is slightly lighter and more yellow.

When an object uses more than one colour, I try to make them blend well as much as possible, so green and red, I'll make them both more yellow as much as possible without it looking off.

Lastly is finishing the outline by colouring it. Using the same method to select colours however you only need to select one new colour which is for the outline of the darkest spots. Everywhere else uses the next darkest colour in the palette as it's outline as you can see on the player sprite.

I'll try to post some examples when I get home from work.
Mr Retardo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top